We record the following items:
- the number of tactic problems your child has solved/worked on
- the minutes of chess video s/he has watched
- the number of blitz games s/he has played
- the number of long games s/he has played
- the number of tournament games
- the lessons s/he has taken
- the vision training s/he has done, for how long
- how much total time s/he has spent
You can add other items to distinguish venues. For example for chess games, I usually had Yahoo chess, ICC, ChessMaster, In-person blitz, Chess Club, etc. How to distinguish them is up to you, as long as you can pinpoint problems and re-enforce what is working.
You can also add opening study, endgame study, master game analysis, and etc.
Not everything has to be done everyday, for example, vision training is suggested to be done once in a while.
Keep it one page per month. This is critical for you to persist. It should take you 5 minutes everyday.